Monday, August 19, 2013

E mea maitai roa'tu teie ohipa (Papeete Pirae 2)

Ia ora na i to'u utuafare e to'u mau hoa here!

Life is still good here in Pirae. Lessons have been a little short this week because of a lot of cancellations, but that just gives us more time to move around and talk to people.

Lessons with Tehaunui are still great. We engaged him to baptism (I extended the engagement--wattup) and he accepted. We don't have a date for him yet because we want him to come to Church first as to make sure we can realize the date. But he said he's got no work for this coming Sunday and that he's down, so we're pumped about that. He's also coming to a convert baptism in another ward that's on Saturday to see what it's like. We have big hopes for him in the near future. Also for the record, these lessons are in French, this guy's young, like 23 years old.

Julie and William came back from their honeymoon a few days ago, and we'll start teaching them again tomorrow. I can't remember if I said in the last email, but we had to change the date of their baptism to a month later, September 28, because they haven't even been to Church more than one time in their life. We're really hoping that they didn't do all this just to get the wedding blessing from the Church, but we'll continue to work with them and hope to spark that fire inside of em.

All other lessons are going great. We acquired a new investigator named Tonio, he's at the hospital here in Pirae but he's from Punauia down South. His brother insisted that he takes the lessons, so he is with us for now. We taught him once, but the four other times we tried to go and teach him he cancelled on us last minute. Kind of a waste of time when it works like that. It's a lesson in Tahitian so it's good for us, and we want to teach him for obvious reasons, but it's no good for anyone if he keeps cancelling. Kind of a bummer.

The languages are still doing alright. I've been improving at speaking French little by little, and the understanding depends. Sometimes I can totally understand everything that's being said, like if it's a younger person, but if it's an old dude with no teeth I have no chance! Tahitian is coming along too, I've been making more of an effort to keep up on it. The understanding Tahitian depends just the same; if they have teeth I can pick up most of it! It's getting better and better. I know I say that every week, and for me it's even hard to see, but that's what everyone says so it's cool i guess!

Well life is good and I'm loving the work. Food is still awesomely bizarre sometimes, like fried bananas or straight up fish heads or whatever. Sometimes I don't even know what I eat, but I eat it anyway because I'm so hungry! I ate octopus without even knowing it... I'm serious when I say that I can't remember what it was, just that my companion told me I ate it!

That's about it! I've been thinking a lot of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and how we can apply it to our lives only if we choose to. Just remember that the greatest gift our Savior gave to us was his sacrifice for sin and death, and that we should never doubt the healing, cleansing powers that it brings to us.

Ua here roa au ia outou, e ua hinaaro vau e e mea oaoa roa to outou oraraa! Mauruuru no to outou here.

A faaitoito,
Elder Ball

Please write Casey; he'd LOVE to hear from you (put 3 stamps on your envelope):

Tahiti Papeete Mission
Elder Ball, Casey 
B.P. 93
Papeete, Tahiti 98713
French Polynesia

No comments:

Post a Comment